Shell is a major player in the engine oil manufacturing industry with multiple types already in the market. Their success can be attributed to among other things, superior quality and an understanding of consumer needs.
Their brands are produced under stringent and highly advanced measures to ensure quality and up-to-date standards. Among their most renowned brands are the shell Rotella T4 and T5 engine oils.
Shell Rotella T4.
This is the most popular and widely used engine oil on the Rotella series. It is conventional motor oil with remarkable performance when used in heavy-duty diesel engines. It also serves perfectly in low emission engines.
Shell Rotella T5
Available in two viscosities, the Rotella T5 is built to withstand extreme weather conditions and keep your engine safe. It combines synthetic oils and well bland additives to deliver exceptional quality and out-of-this-world performance. Its weather protection features hold even in the winter.
Shell Rotella T5 Overview
Shell Rotella T5 10W-30
The shell Rotella T5 10W-30 offers triple protection against engine damage. It is blended with state-of-the-art additives to prevent wear, deposition, and any form of oil breakdown.
Why The Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 Is Suitable For Your Car?
- It offers better oxidation protection compared to ordinary CJ-4 oils. This protection holds even under the toughest of conditions.
- The oil is proven to shield engines from corrosion in the presence of biodiesel.
- The 10W-30 presents better and extended drain capabilities.
- This engine oil was built for economical car owners. It enables fuel saving by almost 2%, even the 15W-40 cannot deliver such efficiency.
- Unlike other oils, the 10W-30 offers up to 44% wear requirements.
The synthetic blend employed in the 10W-30 offers improved protection that adjusts to your driving conditions with time. Other benefits include:
Shell has subjected the 10W-30 to years of field testing and improvement to ensure its compatibility with different engines. Common engine oils need an oil drain interval of around 50,000 miles but thanks to the developments done on the 10W-30, it can deliver more.
When driving in cold weather, you can rest easy as the 10W-30’s improved pumpability works even under low temperatures. Even in temperatures as low as -30 degrees C this oil can reach critical parts quite easily and work its way through to prevent wear.
Shell developed the 10W-30 to protect the various exhaust pipe catalysts and filters found in the most recently developed low emission automobiles.
You can use it on any on and off-highway engine provided the diesel oil viscosity requirement falls under API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4, or CH-4.
Shell Rotella T5 15W-40
The T5 15W -40 is one of the best engine oils to have in your engine during high temperatures. It is developed to absorb heat and retain the required viscosity in high temperatures.
It offers protection against deposits and wear for equipment. Car owners say it increases engine life.
Aside from the viscosity retention in high temperatures, it flows quite well in cold weather too. You can be sure the oil will have its way around your engine no matter the weather.
Why Drivers Choose Shell Rotella T5 15W-40
- Its wear protection capabilities are worth every dime
- It protects the engine from deposits
- It does not break down due to its high-temperature oxidation protection.
- It does not harm emission control systems and filters.
The oil is suitable for heavy engines and has been approved by multiple engine manufacturers around the world. Highway fleets, construction, and agricultural vehicles owners have praised its performance over the years.
Shell Rotella T4 Triple Protection Diesel Oil Overview
The shell Rotella T4 is suitable for multiple engine applications. It works best in heavy-duty engines though. You can find it in two versions, the Rotella T4 15W-40 and the 10W-30.
Shell Rotella T4 15W-40
Shell employs exclusive formulas in the design and manufacture of the T4 15W -40. This ensures the quality and performance you won’t get won’t with any other oil.
Modern low emission engines are all over the place, shell designed this engine for them and any other high mileage hardworking engine.
Why Should You Settle On The Shell T4 15W-40?
- It offers improved protection against wear, this prolongs engine life.
- It leaves engines clean.
- To improve efficiency, it provides better protection against oxidation.
- The air pressure is kept optimum and in better viscosity.
- Oil has better aeration compared to other oils.
Shell Rotella T4 10W-30
- This is the lower viscosity version of the shell T4. It offers several benefits for your engine.
- It promotes your engine’s health by protecting against wear.
- It keeps your engine clean by preventing oil deposits.
- It does not break down.
Here’s A Comparison Of The Two Types Of Engine Oils.
The Rotella T4 is conventional while the T5 I is a synthetic blend.
Both oils serve gasoline and diesel engines just fine.
- Rotella T4: SAE 15W-40 and SAE 10W-30
- Rotella T5: SAE 10W-30 and SAE 15W-40
- Rotella T4: CK-4, CJ-4, CL-4 PLUS, CL-4 AND CH-4
- Rotella T5: Ck-4, CJ-4, CL-4 PLUS, CL-4 and CH-4
- Rotella T4: ACEA-E9
- Rotella T5: ACEA-E9
Oil Change Frequency
- Rotella T4: 3000 miles
- Rotella T5: 75000 miles
Both oils have anti-wear, dispersant, and detergent additives.
The Rotella T4 retails at around $12 a gallon and the T5 goes for around $18 a gallon.
From the comparison above you can see what each engine oil has to offer. Each has one or two benefits over the other.
The secret to selecting the best engine oil is understanding your car’s needs and feeding it just that. There is no perfect engine oil but every engine and driving condition has an engine oil that suits it best.