To remove scratches from the exterior plastic on a vehicle, you may want to use one of the methods listed below.
- DIY Home Method (mild abrasive like baking soda, furniture polish, toothpaste)
- Plastic Bumper Scratch Repair Kit
- Grit sandpaper
- Plastic Buffing Compound P-112
- Take to the vehicle to a professional auto repair shop
The type of method used will depend on several different factors, including the deepness of the scratch. For instance, if the scratch on the plastic is shallow, a mild abrasive is often the best option to use.
On the other hand, if the scratch is considered to be deep and not shallow, you may want to try using several sheets of sandpaper to sand and buff the places that need it.
How do you get scratches out of the plastic on a car?
To get scratches out of the plastic on a car, you may want to start by using a mild abrasive to get rid of the problem. Here are 4 basic steps that can help you to do a good job.
- Use a damp microfibre cloth to clean the plastic surface thoroughly. And then rub this area in a circular motion.
- Apply a mild abrasive of your choice (i.e. baking soda, toothpaste, or furniture polish, Or, if you choose to do so, you may invest in a plastic cleaning kit to ensure a good finish.
- Make sure to buff the area until all scratches disappear.
How much does it cost to remove scratches from plastic on a car exterior?
The cost of removing scratches from plastic on a car exterior can vary based on how deep the scratches spread and the extent of the damage. Here are 3 examples of pricing that range from $150 to $2500.
If the scratch is superficial and not deep, the price may start at $150 and up to approximately $300. This is the cost of the labor, materials, and other expenses.
Primer scratches are those scratches that may be relatively deep. Therefore, if you want to get rid of these scratches, the price can range from about $500 to $1000.
Deep Paint Scratch- When the scratches on the exterior of the car are deep and wide, the average cost is about $2500. This is because a professional auto body shop may need to do this kind of project.
Can you buff scratches out of the plastic bumper on a car?
Yes, it is possible to buff scratches out of the plastic bumper on your car if you have the right products and supplies to do it. And, fortunately, one of the most effective and highly recommended ways is to use sandpaper.
If the scratches are on the surface, you can buff out the scratches easily until they are no longer visible. Also, after using sandpaper to buff the scratch marks out, you can apply a polishing compound on the area by using a microfiber cloth.
Once you complete this process, the area may even look like it is brand new.
Does toothpaste remove scratches from plastic?
When you do your research, you may also find that there are some all-natural abrasives that can help you to remove scratches from the exterior of your car.
In fact, one of the most effective is toothpaste since it is a mild abrasive, and can be used to remove scuff marks. Here are the steps that can be used to start and complete the job.
- Put a dab of toothpaste on a dry soft cloth
- Apply the toothpaste on the scratches and then use circular motions to buff the scuff marks out.
- Keep buffing out the scuff marks until no dirt, grit or marks appear.
To remove scratches from the exterior plastic on your vehicle, you can use a wide variety of different techniques, discussed in the beginning.
Methods like DIY home methods, scratches repair kit, or the one I recommend, going to a professional auto repair shop can be beneficial for car scratches
Also, the technique and the cost can vary based on the extent of damages. Therefore, you may want to shop around before you can make the best possible decision.